|1.||In a saucepan, combine the rhubarb, sugar, orange zest, orange juice and water. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium-low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until thick. It will thicken more as it cools. Ladle into hot sterile jars, and seal with lids and rings. Store in the refrigerator.|
From EatingWell: May/June 2007Nothing says spring like rhubarb. Quick-to-prepare, single-serving fruit crisps like this one are an easy way to get dessert on the table anytime. When buying or picking rhubarb, select stalks that are firm and red—avoid ones that are soft and waggly. And if you slice it very thinly, there's no need to peel off any outer strings.
2 servings | Active Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 cup thinly sliced rhubarb
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled apple
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats, (not steel-cut or instant)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Toss rhubarb, apple, granulated sugar, tapioca and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon in a medium bowl. Divide between two 10-ounce (1 1/4-cup) oven-safe ramekins or custard cups.
- Mix flour, oats, brown sugar, pecans, butter, syrup, salt and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl until crumbly. Sprinkle over the rhubarb mixture.
- Bake until bubbling and lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
NutritionPer serving : 259 Calories; 9 g Fat; 4 g Sat; 2 g Mono; 15 mg Cholesterol; 47 g Carbohydrates; 3 g Protein; 3 g Fiber; 153 mg Sodium; 294 mg Potassium
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrates, 1 1/2 fat
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The topping (Step 3) will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. | Equipment: Two 10-ounce (1 1/4-cup) oven-safe ramekins or custard cups