In Maui, we had an amazing kale salad with red pepper dressing that I promised to remake once we got home. And now I have done just that. This salad is super simple, but tastes really decadent with such a rich and creamy dressing. Raw salads are so quick to make, and having them on hand is such a great way to ensure you always have a healthy option in the fridge.
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 1/2 cup shelled hempseeds
- 1 tablespoon white or yellow miso
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced/cubed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- pinch of salt
- 2 bunches Italian kale, torn and de-stemmed
- 1/2 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 avocados, peeled and cubed
- To prep the dressing, add hemp seeds, miso, bell peppers, lemon juice, and water to a high powered blender. Mix until totally smooth - you'll probably need to scrape the sides down several times.
- The dressing should be creamy and silky! Season to taste with kosher salt.
- To make the salad, simply rinse and tear the leaves off of two small bunches of Italian kale (the flat-leaf variety). You can also use curly kale if that is your preference, but I tend to find those to be too hearty for raw kale salads.
- Thinly slice 1/2 head of red cabbage, and add to the bowl with the kale.
- Peel and cube two large avocados and toss with the kale and cabbage. If you are making this ahead of time, reserve the avocados until the last minute to avoid browning.
- Toss the salad with the dressing and work it with your hands to distribute it evenly.
- Season to taste with any additional salt, if needed.
- Serve along with soup for dinner, or pack leftovers for a healthy lunch!